Sunday, January 04, 2009

LSD Run.....first of my training for the 1/2 marathon

I have started my training for my 1/2 marathon on Feb 15. You might all notice that that is in 6 weeks, and most sane people train for these things in 12 to 15 weeks. Well, I wasn't on the ball. Whatever, can't un-ring the bell.

Yesterday I was scheduled for a 12k run. I went up to the gym last night (it was dead, which was nice, cause I was about to hog the treadmill for an obscene amount of time) and hopped on.

For the first 5k, I was listening to Harry Potter, Book 6 (my fav) and running along like nothing...la, la, la, la.....then I hit 6k, 7k.....the negative self talk started. What did I think I was doing? Why did I think I could hop on the treadmill and do 12k - the smallest of the LSD runs by the way - and walk away? Who decides to run a half marathon because there is a buffet after? Ugh, I'm so tired, my knees hurt, I don't like sweating....on and on.

OMG! By 11k I had talked myself out of even TRYING the half marathon. Seriously. I may need training to run a half marathon, but I could talk an entire marathon of negativity!!!!!

By the time I got off the treadmill to go get the cloth to wipe down the machine, I had reigned in the negativity. By the time I got to the car, I was talking it through with husband, and 1/2 down the road home, I had a renewed sense of excitement at trying this.

New Year's Eve the lady whose party we were at made me pick a time that I wanted to finish in. My goal was to just finish the race, and she kept saying, ya, but what time do you want? Finally I said 2.5 hours (I usually run 10k in around 1:10 ish, so...). But then I freaked myself out. As soon as that time was out there......Plus, add to that the fact that it took me 1:43 to run 13k last night......Anyhow, I'm doing this for me. I want to finish. My plan is to run 10:1's throughout the race, and cross that finish line. However slowly!

I iced my knees as soon as I was done stretching. They felt good last night, but this morning they are very sore. I hope it is warm outside this week so I can run on the paths. I think the treadmill is very hard on my knees.

Not much planned today. I am going to do yoga on the Wii Fit and the body test (I like getting the stamps). But it is a rest day, so that is all I will be doing. I think my body could do with the loving of a little yoga. It always feels so good to stretch it all out.

Well bloggers. I guess I have babbled on long enough! Have a healthy day!

4 comments:

  1. I love reading your babbles :o)

    You did great on the treadmill. Good job of talking yoursef out of the negativity too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:31 AM

    I am so proud of you!!! I am also jealous...I want a Wii fit:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did 11km on a treadmill a few weeks ago because of the insane amount of snow we had. I thought I was going to go insane. Good for you for sticking it out. I am avoiding long runs on a treadmill it at all possible....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, if it takes you 3.5 hours you will have done it!

    Also, I fully support your ban on running if it is colder than -20. Here's hoping for +8 that day!

    ReplyDelete