Thursday, March 08, 2007

Casserole recipe & Temperatures

I just want to clear something up - I am not a hero for walking in 13 degree weather - I live in Canada and we use the metric system. I figure that for you folks in the States, it was around 55 degrees out yesterday. Nice enough to walk with no jacket - since the sun was shining and there was nary a cloud around.

My walking partner has the best route for training on hills. I couldn't believe how effective it was.

A couple of gals have asked about my Cabbage Roll recipe for the slow cooker. It is from "Canada's Best Slow Cooker Recipes", and it is just amazing.

1 1/2 lbs (750 g) lean ground beef or turkey (I used 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 ground pork)
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) black pepper
1 small can (7.5o z [221 ml]) tomato sauce
1 cup (250 ml) water
1 can (10 oz [284 ml]) condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup (125 ml) long grain rice
4 cups (1 L) shredded cabbage (I just bought a bag of coleslaw)
1/3 cup (75 ml) tomato juice or water
sour cream

1. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, combine ground beef, onions, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until browned. Drain off any excess fat. Return to heat and add tomato sauce, water and half the can of tomato soup, mixing well. Add rice, stirring to combine.

2. Into prepared slow cooker, place half of meat mixture, then half of cabbage. Top with remaining meat mixture and remaining cabbage.

3. In a bowl combine remaining tomato soup with tomato juice, mixing well. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until bubbling and heated through. Serve with sour cream

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe sounds awesome, I will definately have to try it!

    And as a fellow Canadian I understand just how nice 13 is, that is practically short weather! he he

    ReplyDelete