Thursday, August 27, 2009

OMG What a Freakin' Day!!

What a stressful day I had yesterday. How stressful you wonder? Well, let's just say that I think it was divine intervention that all I drank out of the bottle of Cab-Sav that I bought IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AFTERNOON was 8 oz (4pts).

Yesterday morning I took daughter to the walk in clinic for her 2nd shot of Gardasil. When she had her first shot she passed out. This is unusual for her as she has no problems with needles. So, yesterday, in she goes, because she is 16 now and likes to go on her own. She also had an infected toe that she needed more medication for. Anyhow, I'm sitting in the waiting room listening to Harry Potter on my iPod when the nurse comes to get me. Daughter has passed out again. Or so I think.

When I get in there, the nurse is asking all kinds of questions. I don't really understand what is going on - to be honest - I thought she was fishing to see if I thought my daughter was doing drugs. I was getting a bit frustrated. Finally, she is able to communicate that she thinks that my daughter didn't faint - but that she had a seizure. Then the doctor "du jour" comes in and tells me that I must immediately get daughter to our family doctor so that he can give her a referral to a neurologist. A NEUROLOGIST. I'm just trying to guard my daughter against cervical cancer here and they are telling me I have to get her to a neurologist ASAP.

Now, you guys don't know me in life. If you did, you would know that this news would IMMEDIATELY bring on tears. Just 'cause that is how my body processes stress. Yes, this is annoying for me to live with, as well as the people who know me, but....

I get myself together enough to make it out through the waiting room. Daughter wanted to run into Starbucks (in the same parking lot). I give her $$ and tell her she has to go alone, because at this point I know I'm going to REALLY break down, and I don't want to scare her more than I have already. So she leaves and the sobs start. I get a hold of my doctors office and can you believe they could fit me in? I had an hour to get to the complete other end of town, in an area I don't know, but I did it - I was only 3 minutes late! Total miracle that we made it there in one piece.

Not only did my doctor fit me in, but his office was actually closed when we finished the appt because one of his nurse's sons had DIED and they were all going to the funeral. I have to send a thank you note. Talk about going above and beyond.

Anyhow, sorry this is long, but I just need to get it out. Doctor does his thing and says that he thinks that quite likely daughter did in fact only faint and that the nurse mis-diagnosed it as a seizure. He has set up a test (through the Children's Hospital) just in case, but thinks she is just fine. Yes. FINE.

We stopped for subs on the way home. Daughter went in to get the subs, I went into the liquor store. Yes. I actually did that. When I had then later taken daughter to work and was done driving for the day I poured myself a glass of wine (I drink from a 2 oz port glass).

What an emotional roller coaster I was on all day. Husband, of course, is the type to not panic until all the tests are done. He therefore, did not have the same ride on the roller coaster. He also cannot even understand why I do that myself. Sigh.

So, tally at the end of the day - 9 flex pts used - 4 of those on wine. The other reason I was over was because I had a 3pt snack while watching tv and daughter got me the wrong sauce on my sub (she got me the sauce I like, but not the one I usually get!!). I did not stress eat. Normally I would have finished the whole bottle of wine AND snacked the whole time. I guess that is some progress!

Today is daughter's first day of Grade 12. Sigh. She just spent the morning changing clothes 80 billion times and her school time snarkiness is back in full force. It is going to be a looooong year.

Have a healthy day bloggers!!


  1. school time snarkiness! LOL that's hilarious! i'm happy to hear she is all right! yikes ... you deserved that wine.

  2. I would have LOST MY MIND and all my flexies!!! I am so glad she is likely just fine.

  3. Yowzas! Being a mom is sure stressful! Glad that they can do some tests to rule things out.

    You did good by not going all chips&cookies at the stress!

  4. Yikes! So scary, glad to hear she probably fine!! I totally would have been in the wine too! :S

  5. Hang in there baby.

  6. Totally understand the freak out, but from a medical perspective, unless she was convulsing, what gave the nurse the impression she had a seizure? More than likely a vasovagal response = faint. As a lab tech, I've seen it many a time when the needle comes out!

    H =)

    Are you going to meetings at Dalhousie? We go to the Saturday bright and early with Faye. Sit in the front row--not sure why. Oh yeah, cause I can't hear a thing in there due to the echoes! =)

  7. Anonymous8:18 PM

    Oh, Fatinah, what a horrible event. I'm so glad to hear that it's probably nothing. You certainly deserved a nice glass of wine and a good cry!

  8. Anonymous9:11 PM

    Fatinah, I was at the doctor's office today and was reading Time magazine in the waiting room and came across this:

    "States joined in, attempting to mandate HPV vaccination for school entry, but parents balked, in part because of concerns about encouraging promiscuity. It didn't help that GIRLS WERE PRONE TO FAINTING AFTER GETTING THE SHOT..."

    Reading that just made me think that it was likely a reaction to the Gardisil itself.