Thursday, August 23, 2007

A stop and think moment.....

Part of my vacation was spent with my sister. She lives quite far away, so I only get to see her once or twice a year. Anyhow, we are quite different in just about every way. We are very close though. So, we are having tea one morning and I was reading my latest murder mystery find from Chapters (from the sale bin, I like to try new authors, but only when I can pay $4.99!) and she was at the desk reading a printout of some sort, like an article.

I asked if she was reading for pleasure or for work. She works for the government and has a lot of work related reading to do. I've never actually seen her read a book that was just fiction. She is always reading some article or another. Anyhow, she gave me a rather odd look. And then she said, well, it's work, but also pleasure because I'm interested in it. I said Oh, and went back to my mystery novel.

It was later in the day that I thought back to this. She has always had a job that is her passion. I have never had a job where I would have to read something and not consider it "work". Never. It would never occur to me that anything at work would be interesting. It was always just a means to an end. My sister on the other hand.....she really likes what she does. Thinking back, she must not have understood my question, since for her the two choices are not mutually exclusive.

All of this to say: I need to find my passion. What an eye opener. Where/how does one find their passion?

1 comment:

  1. Isn't there some book about the color of your parachute, or something, that helps you pinpoint your aptitudes and interests? I'm sure there's a book out there somewhere. I know how she feels. I finally love my job, for the first time ever!

    Thanks for the comment lady. You helped a lot today!

    ReplyDelete